High School Placement Test
Eighth grade students who wish to attend a private high school will be required to take a high school admissions or placement test. Most private schools use the High School Placement Test (HSPT), Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE) or Secondary School Admissions Test (SSAT).
Similar to taking the SAT or ACT for college scholarships and course placement, private high schools are no different. Nearly all private high schools now offer scholarships based on placement test scores, and all use the placement test scores for Honors, AP or IB advanced coursework eligibility.
Your Eighth Grader
Typically, this is an eighth grader’s first experience with national testing that has significant consequences from his or her performance. Does your student know:
1. How to pace properly to finish the test sections?
2. How to solve analogy, verbal logic or verbal classification questions?
3. How to solve sequence or number manipulation questions?
4. Greek or Latin roots or advanced vocabulary?
5. Geometry formulas?
6. Are calculators permitted on the test?
7. Can you work out the math problems on a piece of paper?
8. Can I guess on questions?
9. Test strategies and techniques that can optimize scores?
All these questions and more are answered during our instructional classes or tutoring sessions.
HSPT – Verbal Skills, Quantitative Skills, Reading, Math and Language
ISEE- Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, Reading, Mathematics Achievement, Essay
SSAT- Essay, Quantitative, Reading, Verbal, Experimental
The most important key to success in taking high school placement tests is becoming familiar with the test format and content. Our instruction helps students to learn about the test in a no stress, nurturing environment. Our materials provide students with the appropriate, effective vehicles for further practice and review.